See the news of the Department of Foreign Languages, Translation and Interpreting (DFLTI) about the studies, events, procurements and the online courses.
NOVEL ENCOUNTERS - a festival celebrating Greek and Irish writing
NOVEL ENCOUNTERS is a festival of four Irish novelists and four Greek novelists, organised by the Durrell Library of Corfu (www.durrelllibrarycorfu.org) and the Department of Foreign Languages, Translation and Interpreting (DFLTI) of the Ionian University.
The novelists are:
IRELAND: Mia GALLAGHER, Katy HAYES, Deirdre MADDEN, and Paraic O'DONNELL
GREECE: Christos CHRYSSOPOULOS, Panos KARNEZIS, Sophia NIKOLAIDOU and Ersi SOTIROPOULOS [full details of the writers are in the Annexe]
NOVEL ENCOUNTERS will:
- create a forum for Greek and Irish writers to discuss the issue of “WRITING and IDENTITY”. Each writer will present a statement on this theme
- present each writer reading from one of their works of fiction
- involve students of the DFLTI in direct contact with the writers in translating their works English>Greek and Greek>English
- provide a forum where translation can be discussed as a means of communication between cultures
- showcase translations relating to two Corfiot writers: Konstantinos Theotokis (1872-1923) and Theodore Stephanides (1896-1983).
The sessions of the Festival will take place in the Ionian Academy (Wednesday 18 October) and the Solomos Museum (Thursday 19 and Friday 20 October).
The Festival also features a recital of Irish and Greek music for flute by the young Greek virtuoso flautist Daniel Damaskinos (Filarmoniki Etaireia Kerkyras, Thursday 19 October).
Works by the Irish and Greek writers will be on display at PLOUS bookshop (N. Theotoki st) throughout the Festival.
The Festival is sponsored by:
The Embassy of Ireland; The Rothschild Foundation; Literature Ireland; The British Council